When a loved one passes away, it can be a difficult time for a family. Along with planning the funeral services, you may find yourself wanting to do something to preserve the memory of your loved one. There are many ways to honor someone who has passed. You may choose to present one of these things at the funeral service, or it may be a personal way for you to pass on your loved one’s legacy to younger children in your family.
Here are some heartfelt ways to preserve the memory of a loved one:
- Create a tradition in their honor. Creating a new tradition is a nice way to honor someone who has passed away. It could be a regular morning walk where you personally think about your time together. Another traditional idea is to display a special decoration during the holidays as a symbol of family. If your loved one used to love a certain time of year or location, bring the family together every year to honor that love.
- Make a pillow or stuffed animal for younger children. Using an old shirt or sock to make a pillow or stuffed animal is a heartfelt way for a grandchild to remember a grandparent that has passed.
- Plant a memorial garden in your yard. This is another great option to involve younger kids. Plant a tree or flower garden in a beloved location, like your yard or a nearby park. You can visit the site often and watch your plants grow. Having a designated place to visit will feel like your loved one is always close by.
- Publish an article about them in the newspaper. Another way to preserve the memory of a loved one is to share their life story in a published newspaper or online blog. Different than an obituary, this is especially heartfelt if your loved one had a significant impact on the local community. Neighbors and community members will enjoy reading about your loved one’s accomplishments and contributions.
- Make a scrapbook or video. Compile old photographs and video footage and create a scrapbook or video montage. You can even make copies and gift this to loved ones at the funeral service. Creating something that can be passed down to younger generations will ensure your loved one’s memory is preserved forever.
There are many ways to preserve the memory of a loved one who has passed. During this difficult time, it’s reassuring to know you can count on a family-owned company to take care of the funeral planning details. At Mountain View Funeral Home, we take pride in providing compassionate, dedicated care throughout the funeral planning process. To learn more about our services, contact Mountain View Funeral Home today.